The goal of this task was to demonstrate through 8 reasons why we were against TextBooks.
We had to explore some documents about the main topic and then, we had to make an infographic which are visual representations, about data, knowledge or information in general.
The reasons were the following:
1. Information is limited and selected in textbooks: Knowledge is not neutral because everything explained in books is focused on one direction where students do not express their opinion.
2. Information is not updated in textbooks, for example, textbooks still consider Pluto as a planet. However on the Internet the information is updated in real time.
3. Textbooks are more monotonous and less interactive: It is not the same as students see a powerpoint or a video on youtube that is more entertaining. Technology is part of the daily life of children, so why deny them a learning in which they can use technology?
4. Textbooks do not make students think and develop the answer for themself, that is, they give the the final solution without giving them tools to get it.
5. The information provided by textbooks is often determined by cultural and political issues of dominant groups. The information is subjective, that is, it influences by the cultural and political ideology of the author.
6. Textbooks are made for profit: Writers have the power to impose a price on their books taking advantage of the school's obligation to buy them. Books should not be used as a resource for money, that is, they should not be a trade.
7. The books are a support for the teacher, they do not serve by themselves but still the textbook that governs the life of the class. This is known as deprofessionalization.
8. Children carry too much weight on their back because of the amount of books they carry in their backpacks.
From our point of view, this task has been useful to understand better the innovations that surrounded us nowadays.In addition, we have to adapt ourselves to the current society, especially to the technologies. They are emerging faster and faster and we need them not only to our daily life but for our primary classroom because if we want to make a difference, we have to improve our teaching methods. Children are born in a world full of technology, which is fun, attractive and very visual for learning, so we should realize what is happening around us.
Hello Flowers! I’m Paula Martínez Plaza and this week I’ve been the star of my group! My role has consisted of explore what is the dark side of TextBooks, so my group and I had to read some documents and then, we had to make an info-graphic explaining the main ideas of the topic.
My experience as star have been really, really good because the class was organized in 8 tables with one component from the different groups. First, I had to explain the info-graphic with my own words. Then, I had to assume the Facilitator’s role for helping them to extract the main ideas from what they had understood and they had to write it on a cardboard. The second part of the work was that they had to share their ideas about what they think of TextBooks and they had to write it on the cardboard too. Later, our teacher Linda gave us some topics like gender, sex, identity and how TextBooks could affect people depending on which part of the world they are in. Finally, they had to write some tips about how we could improve our info-graphic and also, something that we had in our work and they would like to have on their work.
I have enjoyed the task a lot and I have felt really happy due to the help of my classmates.
Hello everyone! Im Berta Tornel and this week I have been the facilitator of my group.
The task of this week was very interesting, we loved it. The task was called “The dark side of textbooks” and we had to discuss about bad things that books have. We found a lot of good ideas and we thought that the best way to represent them was doing an infographic. We had some problems with the infographic due to the fact none of us had done before an infographic and we didn’t know how to create it. We searched on the internet pages for doing infographics and we finally found Picktochart that was easy to understand. Also, we had problems with the pictures that we wanted to put on the infographic because we had to search ones with no copyright.
We work very well together, we have never had a problem between us and the atmosphere is perfect, although some of us get stressed easily I’m here to motivate! Come on Flower Powers!
Hi everyone! I´m Paula Martínez Garcia and this week I´m the curator-farmer. My responsibility was to collect all the links and webs we have used for doing our work.
This week we had to investigate why textbooks have “a dark side” and here are the links we have used:
GOOGLE IMAGES; Retrieved 6 March, 2017:
Retrieved 6 March, 2017, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textbook
-Michael W Apple. (2000) Cultural politics and the text.
Retrieved 6 March, 2017, from: file:///C:/Users/Usuario/Downloads/apple_cultural_politics_and_the_text(2).pdf
-Crawford, K. (2000) Researching the Ideological and Political Role of the History Textbook Issues and Methods.
Retrieved 6 March, 2017, from: file:///C:/Users/Usuario/Downloads/Crawforded-kw(1).PDF
-Jordi Adell. (18 June, 2011) Lecturas sobre libros de texto.
Retrieved 6 March, 2017, from: file:///C:/Users/Usuario/Downloads/elbonia.cent.uji.es-Carta_a_los_editores_de_libros_de_texto(1).pdf
-Jordi Adell. (6 June, 2010) Carta a los editores de libros.
Retrieved 6 March, 2017, from: file:///C:/Users/Usuario/Downloads/elbonia.cent.uji.es-Lecturas_sobre_libros_de_texto(1).pdf
Now I´ll show you a mind map with all the references used in this task:
I´m Vero and It´s my turn to be the journalist. Let´s start with the summary of how we have worked this week!!
As every Monday Linda explain us what´s the task about, in the practice class we start working on reading the different documents, and then, in the afternoon we met at Nebrija´s Library, there, once we have finish reading all we divide the rest of the work (brainstorming session, how to design the info graphic, searching for cc pictures, translating the information…)
We almost finish all.
Finally, on Tuesday morning, in a free hour we had between class we print it. This time we have organized really well so we didn’t need to meet more time.
Our star this week was Paula and her big day was on Wednesday. First she felt a bit nervous due to the fact that she didn´t know what she had to do exactly, but she explained all perfectly.
I also have commented in the blog of Ladies and gentlemen:
Hi everybody!!! I am Elena Torres Soto and I am the analyst of this week. My role is to observe and to evaluate the work that my group have done during this task. The task of this week consisted of search information about “the dark side of textbooks”, that is, we have to investigate and look for the reasons why some people is against textbooks.
On Monday, Linda explained us the task and we had two options in the way of making our Project, which could be an infographic or a twiter time line. We finally chose the infographic option since we thougth we could represent it in a more creative and funny way than in twitter. At first we were a bit worry because we did not exactly how to do an infographic, but we finally found out how to do it and actually I have to recognise it turned to be very cute.
From our point of view, we think we have learned a lot with this task, since it has served to us to realize that books is not something essential for learning, but only an instrumen that a teacher can or cannot use, it depends on its election and opinion. However, without the teacher students wil not understand anything, the techer plays the main role in education!!!
Hello everyone I am Naomi Méndez and in the task of this week I am the translator. Here are some keywords of this task.
he amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating.
- Monotonous: When something goes on and on and on and on and on, the same way, for a long time. things are boring and repetitive, like that long story you've heard your brother tell a hundred times before.